But I have something to admit.
I don't hate her anymore. I'm not saying I like her...but ok, I kinda like her.
I could chalk this up to a "Swiftamine" situation, which is true, but also, there have been a few things I've seen here and there lately which have caught my eye and given her come credibility in my mind.
- She amended her identification as a feminist. And she's talking double standards and stuff now.
- She seems genuinely nice, at least from her recent "Swiftmas" video.
- Her more recent music seems to shake the girl-on-girl hate mentality. (I can't speak for the songs on 1989 which weren't released as singles since I haven't heard the whole album, so here's hoping this is true.)
- Her affinity for cats. This is not a legitimate point in her favor, unless you love cats as much as I do.
- This cover of TIME Magazine. (Click through that link for why it matters.)
I thought long and hard about even mentioning this because Swift, overall, is still FAR from perfect. And I'm still going to cringe at her...a lot, probably. But because one of my anti-TS posts recently got a little traction for some reason, I felt it was perhaps appropriate to issue at least a light amendment on my opinion of her to "actually, maybe not the worst, I guess."
Because if my feminism can't acknowledge someone's personal growth, then what is it even for?
Please see the commenting policy before replying to this post.